July/August 2018 - New kids on the block

It was a sunny Sunday afternoon, when two bright eyed and bushy tailed young vets pulled up at the Chine House car park to move into their new accommodation. It suddenly dawned on them that they’d be started new grown up jobs tomorrow! We had never met before as Millie had graduated from Edinburgh and Roisin had come over from Liverpool. We soon realised that being both the new girls together, made the new start slightly less daunting. Roisin has taken the role of house vet where she would be based in the hospital, and Millie has started out on the road.

Day 1:  No horses, lots of paperwork. Starting a new job requires lots of induction, including learning how to safely use a step ladder (thank goodness!). Once up to date with the health and safety rules of the practice we were let loose on the yard to meet our new colleagues.

Roisin: As the house vet I have moved into an on site flat at the practice and so my first job was to sort out the five years worth of belongings I had transported from my Wirral flat and make myself and my cat, Delilah, comfortable. Come Monday morning it was vaguely liveable and I was out of the door early looking forward to my first week. Once our induction meetings were over I was able to get out on the yard and reintroduce myself to my new colleagues. I was welcomed warmly and was immediately offered a cup of tea and added to the kitchen drinks list and knew I had made a great decision joining the team! I was definitely thrown in at the deep end during week one with lamenesses, foot penetrations, phallectomies, canker and colic surgeries and that was just day one! At the end of week three I am finally feeling as though I know where things are and loving getting to know the clients and team. I’m already feeling more confident in my clinical skills (mainly taking half decent radiographs) and am looking forward to the rest of my time here! (Also Delilah has seemed to settle in quite well, she can often be found sunning herself on the yard, being a quite inefficient mouse catcher, to the dismay of the nurses.)

Millie: These first few weeks have absolutely flown by. Moving down from university where I was surrounded by all my friends to Leicestershire was quite the change. Luckily working at such a busy practice means there are always people around to chat to and get advice from. Starting out on the road as a new grad can be quite daunting but there is always a long list of people I can call for advice. In these first weeks I’ve seen all sorts of cases and only gotten a little bit lost in the countryside along the way. Google maps has been my biggest saviour so far, but no use at all when avoiding hidden rocks on my way to my first night time colic. One of the strangest things was taking students out in the car with me, having only been a student myself a few weeks ago.

So far everyone has been so welcoming and supportive of the both of us. We have loved meeting new clients and patients and we are looking forward to what working life holds. We are very lucky to have started together and have already booked our first weekend outing, Burghley Horse Trials 2018. Enjoying looking at horses as spectators, rather than vets!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

October 2017 – The dreaded work-life balance

June 2018 - No longer a New Grad?!

May 2018 – This time last year